Friday, December 28, 2012


ELAINE'S JIGSAW
I haven’t shown any letters for the past 6 months, partly due to lack of time, but mainly because the letters themselves aren’t very interesting on their own – Neuland Hand using 2 pencils tied together and written onto tracing paper (I actually have to admit that I ended up writing all the letters in one sitting -- am I disqualified?).
Each letter was written in the 7cm square onto tracing paper and then positioned over each other in various directions, sometimes even reversing the letters, to create a pleasing design. I then traced this overall design, again onto tracing paper (see below) and worked with this image.
My aim was that the parts of the letters that form the negative shapes (unpainted areas) should merge with the parts of the letters that have been painted. These painted areas would then become the background.
My first attempt was to paint the design straight onto a ready-cut jigsaw, but I couldn’t find any medium that gave a good result on its surface. I then decided to paint the design, using gouache, onto watercolour paper. I had it scanned and from this image I had the jigsaw professionally made, (the band of lettering was added to make the design fit a 500 piece 55cm x 45 cm jigsaw format).
The finished jigsaw
 
a section
 
  
The Process
Letters superimposed
Original art work – 25cm x 28cm
Additional lettering
 
Arrival of the pieces
It was great fun to assemble, but much more difficult than I had anticipated!


9 comments:

  1. WOW!! This is just amazing, what a unique interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Moly! Genius idea - I love the abstract aspect of the original art - the jumble of letters is very cool. And then a puzzle! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say WOW too! What an amazing idea! I love the jumbled letters and fun that it turned into a difficult puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally gob-smacked here! I love it Elaine - wonderfully creative and so so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is incredible! I love how the very arrangement of the letters is so conducive to the concept of a puzzle...a beautiful example of content & form in harmony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you all for your wonderful comments. I really enjoyed the whole process.
      I am very excited as I have had an enquiry for a purchase.

      Delete
  6. How cool! I just was told about this blog. Why didn't I know about it before! LOL
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on our work - it's always good to hear what folk think!